Pacific Symphony Youth Ensembles (PSYE)
Pacific Symphony Youth Ensembles (PSYE) is one of the largest pre-professional musical training programs in the nation, nurturing and inspiring young musicians in grades 6 through 12. PSYE provides members with high-quality and innovative artistic experiences, which strive to encourage musical development, personal growth and lifelong learning through the art of classical performance.
The program is comprised of three performing ensembles (Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra, Pacific Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble and Pacific Symphony Santiago Strings), all of which are united by the artistic vision of Pacific Symphony Music Director Carl St.Clair. Each ensemble focuses on advancing student musicianship in a nurturing environment through professional repertoire and unique performance experiences. Students enjoy clinics with Music Director St.Clair, regular coaching sessions with Pacific Symphony professional musicians, and interactions with world-renowned guest artists such as Yo-Yo Ma, Cho-Liang Lin, Narong Prangcharoen, Derrick Spiva, Jr., and many more.
Pacific Symphony Youth Ensembles primarily perform in the world-class Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall in Costa Mesa and in various community venues across Orange County. These well-received performances are free to the public, are often sold out and touch the lives of thousands of Southern California residents.
Student membership in PSYE is determined by an annual audition process, which attracted an astonishing 600 candidates for the 2017-18 season. The 252 students who are current members of the Youth Ensembles program represent 75 school music programs in and beyond Orange County. Many of PSYE’s graduates move on to pursue higher education, attending such notable institutions as The Juilliard School, New England Conservatory of Music, Harvard University, Brown University and many more.
- Pacific Symphony Santiago Strings is led by Music Director Irene Kroesen and provides string musicians in grades 6 through 9 with quality string training and performance instruction.
- Pacific Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble is led by Music Director Dr. Gregory X. Whitmore and provides wind and percussion musicians in grades 8 through 12 the opportunity to refine their skills in an innovative, and technically advanced wind symphony environment.
- Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra is led by Music Director and Pacific Symphony Assistant Conductor Roger Kalia and provides 100+ string, wind and percussion musicians in grades 9 through 12 with intense orchestral training.
For more information about PSYE, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PS Youth Ensembles
- General Program Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- PSYE Board and Staff
- PS Youth Orchestra
- PS Youth Wind Ensemble
- PS Santiago Strings
- PSYE Concerts & Tickets
- PSYE Participating Schools
- PSYE Young Composer Program
- Family Musical Mornings
- Community Concerts
- Class Act
- Santa Ana Strings
- OC Can You Play With Us?
- Season Insights
- Symphony on the Air
- Student Tickets
- Strings for Generations
Roger Kalia, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra and Assistant Conductor, Pacific Symphony
Gregory X. Whitmore, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble
Irene Kroesen, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Santiago Strings
Carl St.Clair, Artistic Advisor
Shawne Zarubica, Director of Youth Ensembles
Oscar Esteves, Youth Orchestra manager
Nicole Kroesen, Youth Wind Ensemble manager
Daniel C. Jacobs, Santiago Strings manager
Bridget Bow, Santiago Strings string coach
Danielle Liu, Youth Quartet Coordinator