Audition registration for the PSYE 2019-2020 season is now closed. Submission of an application does not guarantee an audition time. Please email PSYE@pacificsymphony.org for more details.
Auditions will take place in June 2019. Please see the table below to find the audition date(s) for your specific instrument. Please note that we are not able to accommodate any audition times outside of these dates. Thank you!
|Audition Date 1||Audition Date 2||Audition Date 3|
|Bassoon||Sun., June 16, 2019|
|Clarinet||Mon., June 17, 2019|
|Euphonium||Sat., June 22, 2019|
|Flute||Sun., June 16, 2019||Mon., June 17, 2019|
|French Horn||Fri., June 21, 2019|
|Harp||Sun., June 16, 2019|
|Oboe||Sun., June 16, 2019|
|Percussion||Fri., June 21, 2019||Sat., June 22, 2019|
|Piano||Sun., June 16, 2019|
|PSSS Bass||Sat., June 15, 2019|
|PSSS Cello||Sat., June 15, 2019||Sun., June 16, 2019|
|PSSS Viola||Sat., June 15, 2019|
|PSSS Violin||Sat., June 15, 2019||Sun., June 16, 2019||Mon., June 17, 2019|
|PSYO Bass||Sat., June 15, 2019|
|PSYO Cello||Fri., June 21, 2019||Sat., June 22, 2019|
|PSYO Viola||Fri., June 21, 2019|
|PSYO Violin||Fri., June 21, 2019||Sat., June 22, 2019||Sun., June 23, 2019|
|Saxophone||Sun., June 23, 2019|
|Trombone||Sat., June 22, 2019|
|Trumpet||Mon., June 17, 2019|
|Tuba||Sat., June 22, 2019|
Are You Eligible?
Members of PSYE must meet the following requirements during the 2019-20 season:
- Actively participate with your school music program to the satisfaction of your school music director.
- Study the instrument you are auditioning on with a private teacher.
- Meet the following grade/age requirements as of September 1, 2019:
a. Santiago Strings – Grades 6-9
b. Youth Wind Ensemble – Grades 8-12
c. Youth Orchestra – Grades 9-12
The audition process, which lasts between 7-10 minutes, requires you to prepare and adequately implement two musical components:
- Solo - Please prepare one solo of your choice which best demonstrates your playing ability. Solos should be a 2-3 minute selection performed without an accompanist. Bring three printed copies of your solo for the adjudicators. (For piano, harp and percussion solo requirements, please see the excerpt page for your respective instrument).
- Required Excerpts – You will be expected to prepare all excerpts assigned to your instrument by Pacific Symphony Youth Ensembles. During your audition, you may be asked to play all or a portion of the required excerpts as determined by your adjudicator.
Please feel free to contact a PSYE staff member with any questions or concerns.
Contact us: psye@PacificSymphony.org
- PS Youth Ensembles
- General Program Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- PSYE Board and Staff
- PS Youth Orchestra
- PS Youth Wind Ensemble
- PS Santiago Strings
- PSYE Concerts & Tickets
- PSYE Participating Schools
- PSYE Young Composer Project
- Family Musical Mornings
- Community Concerts
- Class Act
- Santa Ana Strings
- OC Can You Play With Us?
- Symphony on the Air
- Student Tickets
- Strings for Generations
Roger Kalia, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra and Associate Conductor, Pacific Symphony
Gregory X. Whitmore, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble
Irene Kroesen, Music Director, Pacific Symphony Santiago Strings
Carl St.Clair, Artistic Advisor
Shawne Zarubica, Director of Youth Ensembles
Oscar Esteves, Youth Orchestra manager
Nicole Kroesen, Youth Wind Ensemble manager
Daniel C. Jacobs, Santiago Strings manager
Bridget Bow, Santiago Strings string coach
Danielle Liu, Youth Quartet Coordinator